Thursday, June 23, 2011

Practical Vs. Visual

     SO. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but I for one, am very fond of the genre "Steampunk". I like the anachronism, I like the brass, I like the grit, grime, and grease. Seriously, I'm nuts for Steampunk. Unfortunately, if what I have seen from everyone on the internet (okay, maybe not everyone, but the more influential players) I have completely different interests in what Steampunk is. See, When I think of Steampunk, I think of the industrial revolution, when practicality reigned, and aesthetics came after the function. Giant, powerful machines, designed with elegance in their mechanisms, form following function.
     However, it seems to me that the prevalent interest in the broader Steampunk audience is more in style. As far as my eyes can tell, most Steampunk enthusiasts focus on sticking bits of gears onto just about anything, regardless of whether or not the gears serve any function. To me, that's sortof the opposite of what the Steampunk movement is about, I understand that gears, brass and leather all look great together, I love that look,   but I think that it's an insult to steam machines to tack mechanical elements onto things for looks. Old steam machines are about the most efficient use of energy and material. I mean, look at THIS! Smooth fluid movement, not a part wasted, nothing aesthetic, just efficiency! That is what Steampunk is, a celebration of design, of human ingenuity, and top hats!

EDIT: At the request of a reader, I slapped together some picture of my preferences on steampunk! Check that out HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Can you post some examples of steampunk visual aesthetics that you DO like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @alpha-build, check out this page I made, to answer your question:
    http://cyc4015.blogspot.com/p/practical-steampunk.html

    ReplyDelete