Friday, June 3, 2011

Homebrewing update #1!

The beaker, sitting in my spice cabinet, bubbling like crazy!
As I showed you last week, I started brewing some homemade grapefruit wine. So, in the interest of keeping you fully up-to-date, I thought i'd throw you an update. Tuesday, I threw a fistful (one lunch-size box) of raisins into the jug, and then put a very ghetto airlock on the jug. The airlock lets the Co2 out of the jug, while preventing air and dust from entering. Basically, it's a cork with a hose running through it. The end of the hose sits in a beaker that I set on a shelf near the mouth of the jug. the water lets the Co2 bubble out, and keeps dust and such out. I am happy to report that the beaker has been happily bubbling ever since! The smell is surprisingly pleasant, a kind of sweet tangy smell, but with a definite smell of fermentation. Things are going great! I figure in about a week, I will move the jug into our canning closet, and let it ferment for a month or two, and bring it out to try it then!

No comments:

Post a Comment